Here’s a simple recipe for a white cake mix, so that you can have the convenience of a cake mix without any mystery ingredients.
What you need:
- 2 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 c. super fine sugar (just pulse granulated sugar in a food processor until powdery)
- 2 t. baking powder (store-bought or homemade)
- 3/4 t. salt
- measuring cups and spoons
- food processor (if making the super fine sugar)
- mixing bowl
Time: 5 minutes
Freezeable: Yes. Or you can keep in in your pantry for about 3 months.
Serves: Makes 30 oz. white cake mix. (Enough for two 8-inch round cakes)
Multiplying the recipe: I would mix batches separately to make sure baking powder and salt get distributed evenly.
Homemade White Cake Mix:
Sift ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Use immediately or store in a mason jar or Ziploc bag. When using in a recipe, be sure to measure for the cake mix box size (15 oz, 18.25 oz, etc.).
To make white cake:
- 3/4 c. unsalted butter
- 5 egg whites
- 1 c. milk
- 2 1/2 t. vanilla
Cream butter. Add egg whites, one at a time. Add milk and vanilla. Add mix. Fill two 8-inch round cake pans and bake at 350F for 20-30 minutes.