I’m one of those rare people who really enjoys zucchini season. I love having an overabundance of squash to figure out how to use up, and I probably (okay, definitely) drive my family crazy by trying to put zucchini in everything.
This is one of my favorite ways to use up zucchini. Zucchini + chocolate = (who knew?) delicious!
What you need:
- 1/2 c. milk + 1/2 T. vinegar (or 1/2 c. buttermilk)
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 c. oil
- 1 3/4 c. sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 c. flour
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t. baking powder (store-bought or homemade)
- 1/2 t. cinnamon
- 1/2 t. cloves
- 1/2 c. cocoa (I prefer Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa)
- 2 c. grated zucchini
- 1 c. chocolate chips (I prefer dark chocolate morsels)
- measuring cups and spoons
- box grater or food processor with shredder disc
- 9″x13″ pan
- large bowl
Time: 20 minutes prep time + 45 minutes baking time.
Multiplying the recipe: When zucchini is in season, I like to make up a few batches of this cake to freeze. I usually mix them separately, though.
Chocolate Zucchini Cake:
Combine milk and vinegar and set aside for 5 minutes.
Mix together the butter, oil, and sugar. Add the eggs, milk and vinegar, flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, and cocoa. Stir in the zucchini and spread in a 9″x13″ pan. Sprinkle on the chocolate chips. Bake at 325F for 45 minutes.
Variation: The chocolate chips can be sprinkled on top after baking and then spread like a frosting.