Apple crisp is a fantastic way to use up apples. It’s homey and comforting. Juicy and crunchy. Sweet and tart.
I’ve made many variations of this dish over the years, but my dad’s is still my favorite. Give it a try!
What you need:
- 6 c. peeled, cored, and sliced apples
- 1 t. lemon juice (optional)
- crumb topping:
- 5 T. unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 c. packed brown sugar
- 3/4 c. quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 c. flour
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 1/2-1 c. chopped nuts, optional
- 8″x8″ square baking dish
- cutting board and knife
- microwave-safe bowl and spoon
- measuring cups and spoons
Time: 15 minutes prep, 15-40 minutes baking
Multiplying the recipe: The recipe is easily doubled to fill a 13″x9″ baking dish. Just make sure to add a bit to the baking time.
Place apples in an 8″x8″ square baking dish. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Combine the crumb topping ingredients and sprinkle over the apples. Press down gently. Bake for 35-40 minutes at 350F. (Alternately, microwave for about 15 minutes on high.)