Lego bricks are definitely an obsession in my house. My oldest, my son, has loved them ever since he got his first set, and his sisters really enjoy playing them with him. But it went a bit more over the top after the release of The Lego Movie a few years ago. What started off as an obsession over Lego toys morphed into a full-blown adoration of all things Lego.
Theresa and I have both thrown Lego parties for our kids – at least twice each! So we have a variety of ideas, depending on what flavor of Lego party you’re throwing. We have had, between us, Lego, The Lego Movie, and Lego Star Wars. Incorporating the different themed toys, the movie, and the video games allows you to change things up a bit and inject more of your child’s own tastes and favorites into the party.
Cake and dessert ideas:
- Brownies cut in the shape of Lego bricks, frosted, and topped with m&m’s for studs
- Square Lego brick cupcakes, frosted, and topped with m&m’s for studs
- Square or rectangular Lego brick cake, topped with cupcakes cut in half for studs
- Pepperoni pizza or French bread pizza, cut in Lego brick shapes and with the pepperoni arranged as studs
- Cheese and cracker Lego bricks (Club crackers or Saltines both make good bricks), summer sausage
- Vegetable platter with Ranch dip or hummus
- Melon “bricks” with fruit dip
- Jell-o Lego molds
- Make a cute border of Lego bricks around the edge as a “frame”
- Use clipart of your child’s favorite character as a minifig
- Cut out squares of different construction paper and draw studs on them; use them as wall decorations
- Buy or make a Lego brick garland out of string or yarn and foam
- Have your family get creative with Lego and Duplo sets and use the built models as decoration!
- Decorate yellow plates, cups, and/or balloons with Lego minifig faces using a Sharpie
- Obviously, set out a big bin of Legos and have a designated table where guests can make their own creations (preferably far from the refreshments!)
- Watch The Lego Movie
- Play any of the Lego video games (Star Wars, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Marvel, Batman…)
- Have a competition to see who can build the coolest rocket, race car, motorcycle, castle, boat, whatever! Provide a small Lego-themed prize for the winner.
- Homemade Lego candies (buy a Lego candy mold and use candy melts)
- Small Lego sets or minifigs
- Lego hard candies (like smarties, but Lego brick-shaped)
- Any Lego merchandise (pins, keychains, stickers, fake tattoos, etc.)