I’m pretty accustomed to “transforming” leftovers into something new. I like to have food ready to eat – or at least started – by 4pm, because there’s something about that point in the afternoon that temporarily causes me to lose all motivation to cook dinner. So if it’s later than 4pm and dinner’s not started, I’m often rummaging around in my fridge for a starter – something that’s already done that can jump-start my dinner-making process.
But this past Friday night was new to me. It was pizza night, our preferred Friday night dinner plan. I had planned out a couple of pizzas, but hadn’t gotten anywhere on toppings for the last one. When I finished preparing the veggies and other sides for the meal, I realized that I could add that last little bit of corn – cut off the cob, of course – and the last bits of red pepper and red onion, as well. That inspired me to rummage around in my fridge, where I came up with some chopped green onions, pulled pork, an Asian-inspired barbecue sauce, and some shredded cheddar and fresh mozzarella. The pizza was loaded – and tasty.
To see how we plan our meals, click here. The Fam needs to eat. Make it good!
- Spaghetti with marinara, pesto breadsticks, grapes
- BLTs, carrot sticks and jicama, watermelon
- Wacky dinner: spaghetti with marinara, breadsticks, steamed broccoli, chicken nuggets, tater tots, fruit skewers, and ice cream sandwiches
- French bread pizza dippers with dipping sauce, corn on the cob, watermelon wedges
- Cheese pizza, pepperoni-sausage-black olive pizza, pulled pork pizza, grilled balsamic kabobs, watermelon wedges and fruit salad, Texas sheet cake
- Other things to make this week: English granary bread, banana wheat germ muffins with chocolate chips, strawberry-cream cheese “sushi” rolls, French bread, pizza sauce, ramen seasoning, sunflower-cherry granola bars, unicorn ice cream, pumpkin pancakes, pancake mix, orange cinnamon rolls
- Skewers (cheese tortellini, ham, and grape tomatoes), grapes or raisins, cucumbers
- Pizza quesadillas with sour cream, salsa, and tortilla chips, rainbow fruit salad, black olives, chocolate-covered pretzels
- Pumpkin pancake-cream cheese sandwich, apple rings with nutella, brown sugar carrots