We are starting a new format for our Weekly Meal Plan posts. We will each take turns sharing something that was a highlight from our week, whether that is a new recipe, something that surprised us (good or bad), or something that we find helpful to point out.
By the end of this week, I had been unable to make a grocery run for nearly two full weeks. So this week, there was no plan! During the day, I’d be thinking of something that I could use as a building block to plan that night’s meal around. So whether it was an element that I could pull from the freezer, or some thawed meat that needed to be cooked, or some leftovers that needed some reimagining, or a simple loaf of bread that just spoke to me – grilled cheese sandwiches and BLTs – I managed to feed my family pretty darn well!
I don’t often cook this way – I’m a planner, that’s for sure – but there was something terribly appealing about fixing whatever I happened to be craving for dinner that night! And next time my week goes sideways, and that grocery run just doesn’t happen, I won’t be panicking.
If you want to see how we plan our meals, click here.
- Turkey soup (from freezer), toasted no-knead bread, vegetable medley (cauliflower, carrots, and broccoli), pears
- Fajitas (chicken, peppers & onions, seasoned beans and refried beans, guacamole, salsa, shredded cheese, sour cream, wraps or taco shells), blueberry-cherry crumb pie with vanilla ice cream
- Sandwiches (grilled – with cheese, pepperoni, pesto, and/or tomato sauce; or pb&j), fresh fruit
- Parish soup supper: brought potato-corn chowder, spicy veggie chili, and corn muffins
- Sandwiches (BLTs or turkey) with fixings, fresh veggies (baby carrots, yellow pepper, and cucumber) with hummus, strawberries
- Sheet pan sausages with peppers & onions, Hasselback potatoes, pesto garlic bread, sliced pears
- Leftover chili with sour cream and shredded cheese, baked rice, corn, orange smiles, cheese gougeres
- Thin crust barbecue pulled pork pizza, sausage-pepperoni pizza, vegetable medley, sliced pears
- Other things to make this week: Pullman bread, banana-dark chocolate chip muffins, best-ever peanut butter brownies
- Parish Fish Fry
- Pizza, steamed asparagus, salad and fixings, grapes
- Quesadillas, beans and rice, salad, strawberries, brats
- Dinner with family
- Grilled chicken sandwiches on homemade buns, grapes and clementines, broccoli
- Green eggs and ham! (Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss)
- Calzones, Pepperoni pizza, grapes, corn, carrots, and asparagus
- Ham and Scalloped Potatoes (delivered from family–yay!), bread, home-canned applesauce, mixed vegetables
- Other things to make this week: Baked brie, zucchini muffins