I love pasta dishes. They’re usually fairly quick, filling, and you can switch things up endlessly. This is a dish I learned from family, but I’ve switched it up to use homemade Alfredo sauce. Feel free to swap out the vegetables for others you prefer, or to play around with the seasonings or the pasta shapes.
What you need:
- 1 pound pasta of your choice (penne, bowties, rotini)
Pan-fried Chicken and Vegetables:
- a few splashes olive oil
- a few splashes red wine vinegar
- 2 chicken breasts (about 1 lb.)
- coarse salt, to taste
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- garlic powder, to taste
- Italian seasoning, to taste
- garlic, minced
- Vegetables of your choice:
- zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut in 1/4″ slices
- yellow squash, quartered lengthwise and cut in 1/4″ slices
- bell peppers, cored and cut in 1″ squares
- sweet onion, sliced
- mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
Cheesy Alfredo Sauce:
- 2 T. butter
- 1 c. heavy whipping cream
- 1/4-1/2 t. salt
- 1/8 t. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 c. Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 c. mozzarella or Italian blend cheese
- large skillet
- large stockpot and colander
- cutting boards and knives
- measuring cups and spoons
- small saucepan and wooden spoon
Time: 45 minutes
Multiplying the recipe: I wouldn’t recommend this unless you want to cook all your vegetables in separate pans.
Pasta with pan-fried chicken, vegetables, and cheesy Alfredo sauce:
In a large skillet, heat up a splash or two of olive oil and a splash of red wine vinegar. When hot, add the chicken. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder, and pan-fry for about 10 minutes, flipping halfway through. When the chicken is fully cooked, remove it to a cutting board and slice into strips. Cover and keep warm.
While the chicken is cooking, heat a large stockpot full of water. Add the pasta and cook according to the package directions. Drain and keep warm.
While the pasta water is heating, slice up the vegetables. Add them to the skillet used to cook the chicken and saute them until they are tender. Season them with salt, pepper, garlic, and Italian seasoning. Once tender, add the chicken to the pan and warm through.
Once you’ve started the vegetables, make the white sauce. Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Add the whipping cream, salt, and pepper, and bring to a boil. Simmer for 3-5 minutes, until the mixture is thicken and bubbly. Remove from the heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese. Once that has dissolved, stir in the shredded cheese and stir to melt. Keep warm over low heat, if necessary.
To serve, place pasta on a plate and top with sauce, veggies and chicken. Toss them with a fork to coat everything in the sauce. Add salt, pepper, and Parmesan cheese to taste.