We are starting a new format for our Weekly Meal Plan posts. We will each take turns sharing something that was a highlight from our week, whether that is a new recipe, something that surprised us (good or bad), or something that we find helpful to point out.
This week, I was surprised to realize that I am quite capable of getting a “real” meal on the table between school and evening activities. (Apparently December was harder than I realized! We ate lots of sandwiches and easy meals.) The trick, for me, is planning ahead. I must start the meal before I pick up my kids from school, or it Will. Not. Happen. My slow cooker and bread machine are my bffs. 🙂 I also love prepping meatballs, lasagna, and even enchiladas ahead of time and refrigerating or freezing them for a fast weeknight dinner that feels like I made an effort.
(Psst: For those of you who don’t like how the bread machine actually bakes bread, use the dough cycle and shape and bake the dough yourself! This makes the mixing and rising steps extremely hands-off, and allows you to control the texture of the bread better. I make lots of breads this way. For example, this week I made English muffins, bagels, French bread, and 4 mini sandwich bread loaves!)
If you want to see how we plan our meals, click here.
- Spaghetti with homemade baked meatballs and marinara sauce, steamed broccoli, homemade applesauce
- Slow cooker tortilla soup with fixings (guacamole, tortilla chips, shredded cheese, sour cream), English muffins, home-canned peaches
- Frozen pizzas, peas, pineapple
- Black bean burgers on homemade buns with fixings (guacamole, salsa, cheese, lettuce, pickles), tortilla chips, apple slices
- Leftovers, fresh fruit, homemade shamrock shakes
- Toy Story Birthday party: pigs in a blanket, tater tots, cheese balls, Grinch kabobs, baby carrots, punch, chocolate cupcakes with chocolate buttercream frosting, and homemade peppermint stick ice cream
- Dinner with family: Lasagna, rotini, steamed carrots, homemade applesauce, bread machine French bread
- Birthday dinner: French toast, bacon, steamed edamame, raspberries, chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, homemade Oreo ice cream
- Other things to make this week: 4 mini white whole wheat sandwich bread loaves, chocolate syrup, blueberry bars, yogurt, bagels (in the bread machine), cake flour
- Dinner with family
- Out of town
- Pulled pork sandwiches, sesame buns, sliced red peppers, strawberries
- Lasagna, Focaccia (I substituted basil for rosemary), cantaloupe, broccoli
- Steamed sushi rice, grilled smoked sausage, broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots, whole wheat muffins
- Take-out pizza, home-canned applesauce, green beans
- Other things to make this week: Yogurt, Buttermilk, Sandwich bread (4 loaves)