Pumpkin chili!?! Yes!
Though you won’t necessarily pick out the flavor of the pumpkin in this chili, it does add a noticeable thickness to the chili, making it very hearty. The flavors are just right! Though it may be best on a fall evening with a crisp bite in the air, we enjoy it all year ’round. I bet you will, too!
What you need:
- 1 pound ground beef, turkey, or Italian sausage
- 1/2 t. red pepper flakes
- 1 t. minced garlic
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 green peppers, chopped (or 1 green and 1 red)
- 15 oz. can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 15 oz. can Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1/2 c. salsa
- 3 14.5 oz. cans petite diced tomatoes
- 15 oz. can pumpkin puree
- 2 t. pumpkin pie spice
- 2 t. chili powder
- 1 t. cumin
- 1 t. salt
- tortilla chips
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- green onions
- large skillet and spoon
- measuring cups and spoons
- cutting board and knife
- 5-quart or larger slow cooker
Time: 15 minutes prep, 6-8 hours cooking
Multiplying the recipe: If you have a large enough slow cooker, go for it!
Slow Cooker Pumpkin Chili:
In a large skillet, cook the ground meat over medium-high heat. When the meat is browned, add the red pepper flakes, garlic, onion, and peppers. Cook until the onions are softened.
While the meat is cooking, add the remaining ingredients (minus the garnishes) to a large crockpot. Mix in the meat. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Serve with tortilla chips, cheddar cheese, sour cream, and green onions for garnish.